Match Report: Liverpool Ladies 8 (Eight) Yeovil Town Ladies 0

Heatherson (17′, og), England (30′, 40′, 56′, 61′), Weir (52′), Clarke (60′), Coombs (76′)

Liverpool Ladies: Chamberlain; Harris, Bonner (C), Stoney, Greenwood (Johnson 76′); Coombs, Ingle; England (Longhurst 61′), Weir, Hodson; Clarke

Substitutes: Turner, Johnson, Fletcher, Flaherty, Longhurst, Rodgers

Liverpool Ladies kicked off 2018 in style, recording a rampant 8-0 victory over Yeovil Town Ladies.

Embed from Getty Images

The ladies made an excellent start as Alex Greenwood made a great run through the middle of the pitch, before Laura Coombs played a great ball through, splitting the defence, for Caroline Weir, who’s effort was well saved by goalkeeper Megan Walsh. Coombs continued to dictate the play, as she released Martha Harris down the right, her cross finding Jess Clarke, who’s effort was saved well.

Yeovil couldn’t keep the Reds out forever, though, as the opening goal finally came. Ashley Hodson linked up with Weir, who’s cross was deflected in by Ann-Marie Heatherson.

Just three minutes later, Liverpool nearly doubled their lead. Weir’s pass from deep freed Clarke down the right, and her cross was nearly turned in by Bethany England, but her shot bounced off the post and stayed out.

The second goal did come eventually, as Sophie Ingle’s ball played in Clarke, who cut in and saw her shot saved, but was parried and deflected in off the knee of Beth England. The No. 11 had her third soon after, as Ingle put her clean through, and some fancy feet wrong footed the defender and she slotted through the goalkeeper’s legs.

Clarke almost made it four just a minute later, but her shot deflected off the post and was cleared to safety.

The second half got off to a good start, as six minutes in Caroline Weir drove a fine effort from range into the bottom corner. England’s hat trick came two minutes later, as Greenwood’s through ball set her free and she lobbed the onrushing goalkeeper.

Embed from Getty Images

The sixth came on the hour mark, as Weir’s effort was saved but Clarke was able to turn in the rebound. A minute later England notched her fourth, as she poked home Greenwood’s cross, after she had made a terrific run down the left. That was to be England’s final contribution, as she left the field to a standing ovation to be replaced by Kate Longhurst.

The Reds weren’t finished yet, as Weir made a tight turn and saw her effort well saved by Walsh.

The crowd were once again on their feet, this time for the introduction of Amy Turner, making her debut for the Reds. After a year long injury layoff, her hard work had finally paid off as she replaced Casey Stoney.

The eight came with fifteen minutes to go, as Clarke slipped through Coombs, who lifted the ball past the goalkeeper. It was to be only eight, as Ashley Hodson missed a header at the back post, and Kate Longhurst couldn’t quite steer her curling effort in.

Liverpool Ladies’ next game is at home to Bristol City Women on the 27th of January, kick off is at 5:30pm.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this:
Skip to toolbar