Match Report: Leicester City 2 Liverpool 3

Liverpool finally ended their winless streak with a nervy 3-2 victory over Leicester City at the King Power Stadium on Saturday evening. It was anything but a straightforward victory for the Reds as they twice almost let a 2-goal lead slip on the road to recording a first victory since the 4-0 win over Arsenal almost a month ago. 

The opening goal came from a man on fire in Mohamed Salah as he continued his promising start to life as a Liverpool player. The goal itself was brilliantly worked as Phillipe Coutinho cut back inside on the left and floated a fantastic cross to the back post where Salah was on hand to turn the ball home from what was a ridiculously tight angle. It was the perfect instant redemption for Salah as he had, just minutes earlier, failed to score a golden opportunity when a long range Emre Can shot rebounded off the post to the Egyptian who scuffed the ball wide. He still needs to work on his finishing but if he’s scoring anyway then I don’t see anything to worry about for the time being. 

We went 2-0 up when Coutinho scored his first goal of the season in typical fashion with a beauty of a free kick from roughly 30 yards. It was a welcome return to form for the wayward Brazilian as his catch chant rang out around the home of the Foxes and all seemed to be forgiven if only for a moment. 

There were always the little worries in the back of the mind however as Dejan Lovren continually showed why the fans had such little faith in him. After a wrongly disallowed goal for the Foxes these worries were compounded when, in the last minute of added on time at the end of the first half Leicester were awarded a corner. Corners have been a big problem for Liverpool defences for a good few years and it proved to be no different here as Shinji Okazaki was there to tap the ball in after the Liverpool defence failed to clear. There was a strong case that Simon Mignolet was being held by Okazaki but it wasn’t given and the two teams went in at half time in a much closer state than it had been. 

Leicester started the second half much the better team as they tested the strength of our defence multiple times. In the end their dominance in this period proved to be their downfall as Harry Maguire gave the ball away while going forward and left his defence in a 4v2 situation in Liverpool’s favour which ended with Henderson coolly slotting the ball past Kasper Schmeichel in goal. The 2-goal lead was re-established and we could relax again. 

Until 2 minutes later when Jamie Vardy headed into an empty net after Mignolet did well to palm away Demarai Gray’s curling effort. The lead was reduced to one again and it left an extremely nervy last 20 minutes to go. I was fully resigned to a draw when Vardy was brought down by Mignolet in the area leading to referee Anthony Taylor giving the Foxes a penalty. Mignolet made up for the error by saving Vardy’s drilled penalty and keeping the Klopp’s team in the lead. It was a crucial moment because the game went on to finish 3-2 to Liverpool and the barren run that had been going on since before the international break was ended. 

Sadio Mane is back for our game against Newcastle United away next weekend and we have an exciting (if slightly dangerous for everyone involved) game against Spartak Moscow in the Champions League in the week preceding. Onwards and upwards Reds! Until next time… 

Post-match Thoughts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *